Wednesday we had a service project at the local orphanage re-painting their playground. It was so fun! I accidentally kneeled down on something that we already painted, and it went through my pants, onto my skin, and after 5 showers, it still hasn't budged. I hope it's not lead-based. That would be bad. Either way, I'll have something to remind me of Ukraine for the rest of my life.
We got our two new Elders on Thursday and they brought good tidings of great joy (letters). I got 3 from Madi! And a few from friends and family. It was a miracle since the night before I had a lovely dream of the madster, and was missing her a bit. I loved every second, and laughed a little too hard when I opened my birthday card. Thanks mad. :) Sure love you!
Saturday we had sports night, and it was a success. It was a little less violent, but still pretty bad. All in all, it was a great night filled with bonding, laughing, and lots of fun.
My companion and I were put in charge of Primary on Sunday, and we didn't plan a lesson. Primary in this branch goes as followed: They put every child from the ages of 2-11 in a room for two hours. Although few in numbers, they are a mighty little bunch filled with fist-throwing, screaming, and hoarding cookies. It's a carnival. As we walked in, I said, "Let's just practice being missionaries together and make little nametags." Success. They were obsessed with it! We had two other elders with us, and they went outside of the room, and we gave everyone companions and our nametags, and had them practice door approaches. This one kid who hasn't smiled since I got here in December was having the time of his life. It was awesome. The Primary President said, "Take a picture of this and it'll show up in the Liahona." Woo!
Later that day we had a dinner appointment (unheard of) with the mother of an awesome woman named Sister Danko who's in the branch. We met her before, and the mom asked her daughter if she'd bring her little friends from America and Holland. So we went. She lives in a little dacha (pronounced Daw-cha: means little farm outside of town) And we made Ukrainian shish-kabobs in the forest. It. Was. Awesome. Sister Danko's brother was there, and he was very intrigued by why we were in Ukraine. He asked us a million questions, but mostly out of spite rather than interest. We talked about religion and how he believes that you should never be 100% involved with anything. There should always just be moderation. I thought that was an interesting concept, and then I said, "Well, if you know the right path, then why not be 100%?" His answer was, "But I DON'T know the right path! That's why I feel that way! I'm sure you do, but what is that path?!" Every missionary's dream question. After we talked further, he gave us his card and said, "If you ever get into any trouble or need help, call this number." It was a life-long dream fulfilled.
This week I had a few realizations after reading this quote from President: "Christ's words and actions did not depend on circumstances or the mood He was in." I had a few situations this week that led me to act in such a way that was contrary to this concept of consistency. I was immediately humbled, and also a little ashamed at some of the thoughts that go through my head throughout the day concerning my circumstances. Now, I don't mean to make it sound like I'm an awful person on the inside, or that my situation is less than ideal, but there is definitely room for improvement on my part.
No one can make you feel anything. No one can make you do anything. We are free. We can act for ourselves regardless of what is going on around us. That is a precious gift that God has given us, and a gift that we fought for in the pre-earth life. Why would we freely give away our agency in order to act upset or feel bad? It's not harming anyone but ourselves. The moment I realized this, I felt a burden lifted from my shoulders. I'm in charge of myself. I can't always control what happens to me, but I can control how I feel/react/think about it. It's really that simple.
Oh missions. Gotta love them! This is hard stuff, but I'm definitely learning a life-time worth of lessons in a short amount of time. It's painful sometimes, but it's amazingly worth it. Let me just warn you now: If you're expecting the same Katie to come back from Ukraine, you've got another thing coming. I'm changing on a daily basis, so brace yourselves.
I love you all. Your support is immeasurable to me.
любов,
Sister Webber
No comments:
Post a Comment