Monday, March 11, 2013

Cabbage, March 8th and onion people

So, another holiday in Ukraine is called "Vosmoho Bedezenya" (that's the closest in english phonetics I can get. Some Ukrainian sounds don't exist in English). It means 8th of March, and it celebrates women! How cool is that? They have a mother's day, and a women's day. What! So everyone's walking around holding flowers, and I mean EVERYONE. I wish I would've gotten pictures. And people were on the sides of the roads holding up signs wishing happiness to women. It's so cool. This country is so festive. We got phone calls from lots of people, and they wished us "happy husbands, posterity, and blessings from God". These people are the best. My companion and I got flowers from the Elders, and they made us cake truffles....what on earth. It was awesome. I love March 8th! Happy Women's day!

The work is progressing. We've found some incredible investigators, ones who are elect of elect. We found one girl through English class who approached me wanting to know more about the church and saying how she loves the feeling of being in the building. We met with her, and I felt such a connection with her. She explained that she knew that there was something more, like a higher power, but wasn't a church-goer, and didn't have much of a religious background. I was talking to her about our Heavenly Father, and how He is real, and loves her, and knows her by name. The spirit was so strong, and she was starting to tear up. She said she wanted to know more about what we know, and she came to church yesterday and loved it. I'm so excited about her! 

We also went tracting--first time in a loooong time. We went by a former investigator to see how she was doing, and when she wasn't home, we tracted the building. We were getting really interesting (funny) responses from people about why they didn't want to talk to us, and then finally this woman let us in. Once we were sitting down, my comp asked her why she let us in and she said, "I wasn't going to open the door, but I saw you were from God." We gave her a Book of Mormon, and she's been reading it like crazy. Although she doesn't like how Nephi killed Laban. Goodness sakes, why is that in the first few chapters.

Anyway, we had some really crazy run-ins this week. Mom, you remember Derek Brimley's experience in Ukraine that his mom told you about? Yes. That. And a few other awkward situations. Oh man, oh man. Life of a missionary. 

President had a leadership conference, and our district leader came back with some funny quotes from him that I wanted to share. He was talking about how we need to eat healthier, and he said, "Don't come home and just eat mashed potatoes and chips. I don't want you turning into one of those onion people. And when we have reunions and are running up Y Mountain, I don't want any of you to get beat by me when I'm an old man. But we'll just have to grease your hips and squeeze you through the doors anyway." Any part of that quote is killer when I think of it coming from President. I don't even know what onion people are, but it's hilarious. He has such an opinion against unhealthy people. 

Speaking of food, I ate cabbage for dinner last night. Yes. Steamed cabbage, with some curry powder. I can't even tell you how desperate I was for food. We were out of everything, and it was a Sunday, and the night before grocery shopping. On Saturday night I ate raw cabbage with mayonnaise and sausage. That was a highlight. When I say that it's hard getting used to the food here, I'm being 100% serious. It says a lot when I tell you that I eat pizza for our pday choice every week, and I spent 21 years avoiding pizza. Also my favorite lunch choice is rolls with cold hot dogs in it. And I spent 21 years avoiding hot dogs, too. Yes, I'd say that unspeakable restaurant that rhymes with rafe shmio is sounding pretty dern delicious right about now. 

Anyway. Back to missionary work. 

There are few things in my life that can compare to how good I feel as a missionary. I'm learning so much about the nature of my Father in Heaven, and the things that he wants me to learn as a missionary. I'm growing spiritually, mentally, and emotionally in ways that I never even expected. This mission is specifically for me, and everything in my life has lead me to this point. I have seen the power of the Atonement change the very countenance of people, and I know with my whole heart that people are being led to us here in Lutsk. I am filled with joy when I count the blessings that have already come from serving a mission. I've got a while to go, but I know that I have many miracles to yet experience.

The gospel is true. 

Сестра Катя Вебер

ps. It got up to 53 degrees F on Tuesday! And then it's been snowing since then. Pray for spring in Eastern Europe.
pps. I'll attach pictures of my new coat! Thanks for the early birthday present! :) And I am SO EXCITED to get your package!! :) :) 

Lost in Translation....

Ukrainian Fashion Show

Auditioning for Next Top Model

Working the camera.....


The high for the day was 13 degrees

Harry Potter is everywhere.....even in Ukraine
The 3 Brooms


Our Beautiful Sister Webber 


No comments:

Post a Comment