This week I was on pins and needles about transfer calls. It's been the first time since my very first transfer that I had absolutely no idea what my fate would be. On Friday I said to the elders, "Is this what you feel like every transfer?! This is AWFUL!" I was praying so hard to be able to stay, or at least to be able to feel at peace for wherever I would go. Transfers can be a traumatic experience as a missionary. You get 4 days to go say goodbye to everyone you've ever loved and met in the last 6 months, and for me....that was just not a happy thought.
So before I tell you, I was studying about the Book of Mormon, in Doctrine and Covenants, about what the Lord said about it. It was interesting. He said something to the effect that he allowed the writings of the prophets and disciples to come forth in this generation because the prophets prayed for that to happen. I thought about how cool of an idea that was, and how sometimes the Lord just lets things happen because we have a burning desire for them to happen. And look, we have the Book of Mormon to carry around the world and spread the news that Jesus is our Savior and loves us. It's incredible.
So with that in mind, I started praying. I knew that my fate had already been decided for where i was going, but I asked if I could just stay in Chernivtsi. I've been here for 4 transfers already, and yes, it's only my second area on my mission, but I wanted it so badly.
Saturday rolled around, and the district leader called, and guess what. My prayers were answered. I'm staying. Unbelievable. The Lord knows me, and wants me to just have an incredible last transfer, in the city of miracles. I love this place like it's my home!
Lots of things happened this week. First, it was Elder Stephenson's last week. I've had the chance to serve with him for a total of 6 transfers on my mission! NINE MONTHS! That's more than half my time in country. He's like little brother status. We're great pals. In his last district meeting, he talked about lessons he's learned on his mission, and something stuck out to me. He advised, "Don't play the mind game, 'Did I do what I needed to do here?' Because that is from Satan. If you worked hard, and did your best, rest assured you did your part." He also said, referring to sibling relationships but connecting it to companion relationships, that his mother used to always tell him, "Your job isn't to fix them. Your job is to love them. My job is to fix them." I thought that was good advice. I'm sure God sometimes tries to tell us that about our relationships with others.
We had a Mexican Party
on Saturday which was a hit! We made pinatas, tacos, played games, and had a blast. We had more people there who weren't members, then actual members of the church. It was so fun! Two of the elders busted out a violin and guitar and sang a mexican duet, and everyone thought that Elder Schindler was Mexican after that. My little asian from the MTC is a pretty convincing hispanic.
Well, we had the chastity lesson with two of our favorites. It was going nowhere fast, and then all of a sudden one of the girls said, "You know, it's like being faithful to your future spouse. It makes sense." she later said, "Our body is a precious gift from God, and we need to act righteously to be able to show him we respect God and ourselves." I was like a proud mama. Phew.
Also. We have a golden child on our hands. He's about 23, and we found him at our English club (the one in the library) about a month ago. We met with him once in the church and he was super interested in baptism. We finally had the chance to meet with him again, and he said, "Look, before we start, I want you to know that I just want to follow Christ and his teachings. You're going to help me, right?" He grew up as a Hindu, but has a pretty good idea of Christianity. We began talking about Joseph Smith, and he's been reading the Book of Mormon religiously. We showed him the 20 minute version of the Restoration film, and he was so into it. It was the first time I had watched it in English in a while (he's a native English speaker), and I was so touched by it. I have it practically memorized in Ukrainian, but not in English, so there were things that stuck out to me that normally don't. This man was really feeling for Joseph. Whenever a preacher would say something that was pessimistic, he'd say, "Man, he should just leave that congregation!" or "That is definitely not from God." and then when Joseph's dad told Joseph that he needed to ask God, our investigator said, "But how do you ASK GOD?!" I smiled and said it was coming up. When Joseph knelt down to pray, and the light began descending on him, our investigator said, "What?! Did that happen?! Wow!" Haha. This continued on through the movie, and I was excited for him to see Joseph's father get baptized. It turned to the shot, and shows him in the river, and right before they put him in the water, the man got really excited and said, "IS THAT BAPTIZATION?!!!" He was STOKED. He made me pause it and then he asked, "What happens to him next?! What does he do after that?!" I was taken so aback by his excitement and started giggling, and told him about the gift of the Holy Ghost, and that he could feel this great feeling always. He said, "YES! I feel so good right now! I want this always!" I then said, "Well, will you prepare yourself to be baptized on
March 1st?"
. Sounds great!" We all started laughing and were so excited, and I was just taken by surprise. I've been so used to the Ukrainian reactions to the first lesson, and they've never been close to the excitement and the joy this man was feeling. It was definitely a new experience for me!
No comments:
Post a Comment