Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Locked In

It feels like last Monday was part of last century. I don't even know where to begin.
First, Madi and I got all things figured out in order to teach Anna the Ukrainian Babusya in North Carolina! We recorded a little video over skype in Ukrainian for her to have a little idea of what I'd be talking to her about, and Madi said she was so fascinated. I'm really excited about this. I don't even know how to put it into words, but it's all going down today at 5:30 (my time). So COOL! Maybe I'll even get to teach her in real life in a few weeks. Madi, pray that you get to stay there next transfer! :)
This week we had "Sports Day" indoors, and it was just me, my companion, and our Tennis Champion. Naturally, we played table tennis. I went up against Tennis Champ for 3 rounds, and one of the rounds I played left handed...and came within 2 points of beating her. I'll take that as a personal win. It was so much fun. We then taught her about baptism, and she was 100% on board. We're just waiting for the Mom's Stamp of Approval. She came to church yesterday, and participated in Gospel Principles, and then LOVED Young Women's....our young women's teacher is straight from heaven. She's one of my favorite people on the planet, and she made our friend feel right at home.
I got to do exchanges this week in our city, and we had a marvelous time together. I really love the two other sisters in Chernivtsi. I always learn so much from exchanges. Mostly, that I need to lighten up a little more (though I've come a really long way on my mission in that regard....). We had a really great time together.
We showed "On the Lord's Errand" to one of our investigators this week, and she loved it! Afterward she said, "I think I'm going to watch this again in a few days." She's been having a hard time swallowing the idea of a modern-day prophet, and I think we made a step in the right direction.
Also, BIG NEWS! Chernivtsi has their very own Sister Missionary! She leaves on a train today, and her mission is in Russia. She's such a bright light, and I'm so proud of her. We're all going to see her off at the train station in about an hour! :) I'm so excited for her! I was able to be here when she got her mission call back in November, and I'm so grateful that I am still here to see her leave. I never thought that would happen. 

Last night we had a bit of a situation. We decided to visit this cute little old Babusya and she talked our ears off. After about an hour, she was telling us how her grandson left, and never came back, but before he left, he locked one of the rooms in her apartment. She was saying how it kind of scares her because she can't get into it, and she doesn't know where he is or when he's coming back, and she doesn't like living alone. As she was showing us the door, it was starting to freak me out. What on earth is behind that door? She then was trying to convince us to stay the night, and I kept protesting. Then she was telling us we should move in with her, and going on and on. She kept talking about how she didn't want us to leave, and how she really was scared, and I just kept getting this little alarmed feeling that we needed to leave. So I ended our conversation and got up to go. She made her way up to the door and said, "Oh no, where are my keys?"
The door was locked from the inside.
She started looking around and saying how she couldn't find her keys, and I shot a look at my companion, and she looked worried and said, "I'm not even going to tell you what I'm thinking right now." I said, "If we're being held hostage, I'm calling the elders."
The woman made her rounds around her tiny little apartment twice, and finally said, "I can't find my keys." I couldn't tell if she was smiling or not.
Cue Psycho violins! 
I told her that I was going to help her, and I went straight back to her bedroom and saw the keys laying out in the open....not saying anything, I grabbed the keys, and gave them to her, thinking, "If you were trying to keep us here...you could've at least hid them." We left in a hurry.
My companion then proceeded to tell me the synopsis of the Psycho movie, and I got really scared. I kept looking around my shoulder and freaking out (very Nacho Libre-esque when the dead guy wakes up), and then I made her tell me a story with a happy ending. I had a weird nightmare last night, but it surprisingly had nothing to do with being held hostage. I blame it on eating way too late.
Anyway. Those were the highlights of my week. Take it for what it's worth.
I hope you all know that I love you. :) 
Love,
The Ukrainian Sister Webber



Sisters Webber times 2

Teaching from Ukraine
Kate, Madi and Anya

Cute missionaries

Going on splits - who would have thought that could happen?

Modern day missionary work - Love technology!!

No comments:

Post a Comment